Wednesday, July 13, 2011

More of "Made To Crave"

Craving...what is it?  How should we define it?   Well, Lysa defines it in Chapter One as (and this is coming from Dictionary.com) something you long for,  want greatly, desire eagerly and beg for!   Enough said, right?!   

Well, Lysa doesn't stop there,  she then takes us onto Psalm 84:1-2 which says, "How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty!   My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord;  my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God."    Now...lets just camp there for awhile shall we.   Think about this for a moment.    If the psalmist is displaying the very act of craving and we were created to crave....then the very answer to my question "Craving...really God...what were you thinking??"  is answered!!    Yes, CRAVING,  for Him and Him alone!!   This type of craving is throughout the whole Bible.   David sings and cries out about it in Psalms and in each one of the books of the Bible it is demonstrated to us over and over again.   Amazing....craving....yes!!

I don't want to give too much of this chapter away because I really want you to go and read it yourself,  but I do want to share one more area that grabbed my attention and heart in this chapter....1 John 2:15-16  (here is just a portion of these verses) "....the cravings of sinful man,  the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does....comes not from the Father but from the world."

Lysa shows us there are three ways the enemy lures us away from wholly loving God... 

~The cravings of the sinful man
~The lust of his eyes
~The boasting of what he has or does

Do you have in your minds eye what the craving of the sinful man might be?   What about those lustful eyes or the boasting that so easily befalls us?   I love what Lysa writes in this chapter about our boasting too...she writes...

"...the boasting of what one has or does describes the actions of someone chasing what she thinks will make her feel significant."  

Ask the Lord this week to show you areas in your life that fall under these areas that the enemy can catch us and draw us away from the Lord.   I know I have already started that conversation with God. 

There's a lot more in this chapter that I love, but I will leave that up to you to read....happy reading!!


No comments:

Post a Comment