Friday, March 19, 2010

God Moments

When I was a young christian, I would hear people say that we were suppose to be the hands and feet of Jesus. I couldn't understand what that really meant back then, but as I have grown in years and in my walk with the Lord, I have come to not only understand it but to love that concept. I call those opportunities...God Moments!!

We can experience those moments every day if we would make ourselves available to them. God brings people and circumstances across our daily paths all the time. We don't even have to leave our home to find them. He brings them to us via our phone conversations, emails, texts and even at our door step. They are in the grocery isle, at the hair dressers, and even at the post office. I have found them at the restaurants and clothing stores and to be quite honest about it, ever since I asked the Lord to help me keep my eyes open to all the God Moments that He wants me to be apart of.....I can't seem to get away from them!!

To give you an example, I was having coffee with my friend Pam the other day at McDonalds. We were having a wonderful time of sharing when I happened to glance over at a young woman who was weeping as she talked on her cell phone. I was so taken back by this that I couldn't even remember what I was talking about to my friend. My heart was totally taken with this woman and I started praying for her and whatever situation she was having to deal with. I knew as soon as I saw her that the Lord was going to give me an opportunity to speak with her. I followed her out the door (praying that she wouldn't think I was a stalker) and asked her if I could talk with her for a moment. I was thrilled when she allowed me to talk with her and even pray with her. I'm not sure if I will ever hear from her again....but I am still praying for her.

Not all God Moments are quite so bold.....but each one is just as important as the other. Are you ready to be the hands and feet of Jesus? Can you give the weary and tired cashier a smile and a thank you for her efforts? Can you smile at the post office clerk and wish her a good day? Can you answer your phone with a cheery hello instead of a frustrated "What do you want?" type of tone in your voice? These moments are for every christian to take advantage of.

My friend keeps christian tracks in her purse and hands them out to whoever she feels led to. She has had wonderful conversations with those the Lord has brought in her path, telling them about how much God loves them and what He has done for her and her family.

You would be amazed at how it helps your own mood to brighten. It is hard to stay mad or frustrated when you are speaking words of encouragement to those around you. It helps us stay outside of ourselves. All it takes is to keep your eyes and heart open to whatever moments pop up around you. One kind and encouraging word can lift the dreariest of hearts and lighten the heaviest burden, not because of what we have said but because of who God is inside of us. When we allow the light of Christ to shine forth....it attracts those around us to the bright light of Jesus!

God Moments.....make them your moments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment