Monday, April 29, 2013

It Only Took A Couple Of Bites!!!

                               
                             Psalm 63: 1-8

1 "O God,  Thou are my God, I shall seek Thee earnestly;  My soul thirsts for Thee,  my flesh yearns for Thee,   In a dry and weary land where there is no water. 
2 Thus I have beheld Thee in the Sanctuary,  to see Thy power and Thy glory.
3 Because of  Thy lovingkindness is better than life,  my lips will praise Thee.
4 So I will bless Thee as long as I live;  I will lift up my hands in Thy name.
5 My soul is satisfied as with the richest of foods,  and my mouth offers praises with joyful lips.
6 When I remember Thee on my bed,  I meditate on Thee in the night watches,
7 For Thou hast been my help,  and in the shadow of Thy wings I sing for joy.
8 My soul clings to Thee;   Thy right hand upholds me.


I recently was visiting my family in New York  for a week.   If you are new to my blog site than you would not know that I have lost over 100 pounds in the last year and a half.   The journey has been a day by day experience with the Lord leading, pruning and healing many many areas of my life.   Having lost the weight and now trying to bring some balance into my eating plan....I have been amazed at how easy the sweets and fats can take control again and call my name LOUDLY and CLEARLY!!   Seriously folks....this will always be an area of my life that I will have to surrender daily to and keep closely in check.

     Now...back to New York!   I had an opportunity to try for the first time some frozen custard  (yes...I know, it's been out there for ages) !   I can't even begin to tell you the amazing texture, flavor and whole experience that was happening in my mouth!   I have had great ice cream and wonderful frozen yogurt....but never have I had such awesome frozen custard....who knew?!    Obviously I'm still not over the whole experience yet...which is the reason I'm even writing about it.   It only took a couple of bites and I was hooked...line and sinker.   After that night....I kept thinking about it and wondering if I was going to get to have it again before heading home to Texas.   Well...I did get to have it again and the experience was the same.  AWESOMELY AMAZING!!  

     Now...I'm back home and telling everyone who will listen about this frozen custard.   Do you see the problem yet????

     I was reading Psalm 63 during my devotional time and I was struck with such an understanding of what it means to be totally satisfied!   Verse 5 says..."My soul is satisfied as with the richest of foods,  and my mouth offers praises with joyful lips."   I have to tell you friends...I was singing praises about that custard to anyone who would listen and to a few who didn't ;) !   
     Psalm 63:1 says.."...my soul thirsts for Thee, my flesh yearns for Thee,..." .   My flesh yearned and thirsted for that custard.   
When I think about the psalmist and his desire to be satisfied only with the Lord....I am brought to my knees in repentance.   I never ever want to find more satisfaction in food, material things or a person than I do with my Heavenly Father.   

     My heart has been turned once again to the ONE who satisfies my heart so completely!   I'm sure there will be other things that will vie for my attention and comfort...but there will never ever be a contest where anything will come close to my Heaven Father.

     Have you been drawn away from your satisfaction in the Lord? Have you found yourself giving more praise and attention to a food or material item than you do to God?   Trust me my friend...this can be a dangerous area for all of us and the enemy knows exactly what item to dangle in front of us to grab our attention.   

     Let our hearts cry out like the psalmist..."O God,  Thou art my God,  I shall seek Thee earnestly;..." !


No comments:

Post a Comment