Thursday, April 28, 2011

Self Glory...Been There, Done That!

1 Corinthians 10:31  "So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God."

I've been learning so much this past week about "self glory".   What is it?  How did I get to this place of replacing God's glory with my own glory?   These questions and many more have filled my heart and mind as I have started on this new journey of awareness and change.


I have always known that in this struggle with my weight,   my motives have been self serving.  What I mean by that, to be perfectly honest, is that my pride and desire to look good would take over.  Of course,  I would have the health reasons and the mobility issues,  but the biggest reason would be so that others would say how good I look (now that's being embarrassingly honest).

So I would lose and gain and lose and gain, over and over again.  This has been my life's pattern.  The funny thing is that I really do love to cook and eat healthy.   But between my huge portions and cravings for sweets and carbs...I just couldn't keep it off.   I also believe that because my heart wasn't right (and it became ALL about ME) the inevitable happened!  God's purpose was not being brought forth and his blessings were not on my efforts.

No matter what my motive is to lose weight,  if it is coming out of self-worship....the end result will not be glorifying to the Lord.  Self-worship should have no place in the heart of a Christian who professes to worship God and God alone!

Another thing that I have learned is that God can be glorified in my daily choices when I turn away from gratifying my flesh by overeating.   So in order to make those right choices...I must keep my mind on Him.
Here are some of the verses that are helping me to keep my mind on God....

Psalm 115:1  "Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto your Name give glory.  Because of Your mercy. Because of Your truth." 


Psalm 138:8  "The Lord will perfect that which concerns me; Your mercy, O Lord, endures forever.  Do not forsake the works of Your hands."


Isaiah 55:2-3  "Why spend money on what is not bread and your labor on what does not satisfy?  Listen,  listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.  Give ear and come to me, hear me, that your soul may live."


No food will satisfy my heart or fill the emptiness in my soul.  Jesus Christ is the "real food and real drink" (John 6:55) and when I feed on His Word till I am full and satisfied...I will be able to make those choices that bring glory to His name.  Now...if you read my last post about "fighting" to be in God's Word daily....you know that to keep my mind on God and in His Word...I will have to fight my fleshly desires that keep me from going to God's Word.

I always thought that my overeating was do to reasons like boredom and cravings....but where do those feelings come from?   I believe that they come from a heart craving.  The Bible tells us that many of our issues stem from the spiritual condition of our heart.   Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.  


In Philippians 4:19 is says "And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus."   If I'm going to take God at His Word  (and I DO)...then I must know and believe that He WILL meet all my needs while satisfying my heart and then, and only then, I will be able to make good decisions that will bring glory to His Name.

So, as I walk this new journey,  I will be posting the new and wonderful revelations I learn and receive from God's Word....care to join me???

1 comment: