Thursday, May 27, 2010

Choose to Trust God!

“Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” John 8:32 I can safely say that there isn't a day that goes by that I don't hear about someone's struggles. I am aware that as each season passes our struggles seem to be getting worse. The economy has hit everyone I know in one way or another. Jobs are hard to find and health conditions seem to worsen. Am I surprised at this...no! I know that the Bible tells us that as the "last days" draw near we are going to be in the thick of things. But my heart breaks and is burden for my brothers and sisters in the Lord who are falling prey to their own emotions. Depression and anxiety attacks seem to be so prevalent today. Fears that seem to hamper our ability to move out in boldness for God and keep us withdrawn. Trust me when I say that I have struggled with my own weak emotions and have allowed them to take me to a place that is not where God would have me to be. How quickly we turn from being strong in the Lord to being weak and feeling helpless. My great desire is to be walking hand in hand with my Saviour, moving in power and strength through the Holy Spirit, and not allowing my fleshly emotions to take me down to where I can't be effective for God. I want to respond immediately to the prompting of the Holy Spirit when my flesh rises up so that I don't skip a beat. How about you....are those the desires of your heart too? If yes, then lets talk about what keeps us tightly pressed into our Lord. Let's deal with this issue of our emotions vs the power of God. What are you facing today that is causing you fear or anxiousness? Are you struggling with the unknown of the future….the uncertainty of was is to come? My precious friend, you can know the truth and it can most certainly set you free from these fears and anxieties. You can choose to receive the truth of who God is in this situation and what His promises say to us OR you can fall prey to your own emotions and feelings that will lead you away from what Gods promises tell us. God's Word says...“I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go…” Genesis 28:15 and "The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it." 1 Thess. 5:24 Jesus died on the cross, he gave his all, so that we wouldn't have to live according to our feelings. We can choose truth....we can turn away from what our hearts and minds are telling us and we can live in God's truth and peace. Remember that..."The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe." Proverbs 18:10 Let go of your anxiety, fear and frustration….grab hold to what is true…not to what you feel! Our emotions will always take us to the dark side of a situation. They are unreliable and untrustworthy! The more we understand and grasp these truths....the more we will live our lives dependent on God and choosing His peace, His truth and His ways. We live in a fallen world, the enemy is out there seeking whom he can devour (1 Peter 5:8), so we will have troubles, trials and tribulations. We will have issues and frustrations that invade our daily lives...this is a given fact. We can speak God's truth out loud in our situations, we can call on the name of Jesus and respond to our situation with assurance of His peace and power. A.W. Tozer said..."The truth of Christ brings about assurance and so removes the former problem of fear and uncertainty." Remember in Matthew 8:23 the disciples are in a boat, on the Sea of Galilee with Jesus and a storm quickly arises? Although they had seen Jesus perform many miracles, the disciples were still fearful for their lives, so they turned to Jesus, their Saviour, and the waters were calmed. Just like the disciples, we feel threatened by our own storms of life. And because of God's great love for us, we to can turn to our Saviour for courage and comfort. So remember that what you are facing today can be faced with the assurance of who God is and what His Word promises. Let go of all your fears and remember..."the truth will set you free," John 8:32, "Be alert, stand firm in the faith, be brave and strong." 1 Corinthians 16:13 Here are some more truths... “Casting ALL your care upon him because He cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:7). "I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth." Job 19:25 "For God has not given us a spirit of fearfulness, but one of power, love and a sound judgement." 2 Timothy 1:7 "Be strong and courageous, all you who put your hope in the Lord." Psalm 31:24 "Haven't I commanded you: be strong and courageous? Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9 We must allow God's Word to resignate with us. We must see God for who He truly is and understand His character in order to rise against the pull of our emotions in times of stress and struggle. I know that I'm making the change to choose God and His truth....how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment