Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Meaning Of True Love

Dear Friend, The world is desperate for love. You and I long to experience and know it. But so many times we are sadly mistaken in our understanding of the meaning of true love. Love is not just an emotional attraction. Rather, it's selfless, humble service to meet the needs of another person, no matter how lowly or menial that service or task may seem, and no matter how undeserving is the recipient of that love. As someone said to me years ago, genuine love is totally giving of ourselves to meet the needs of another person without expecting anything in return. The supreme example of this “agape” love is God's love for us. “God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8). God loved us not because we deserved it; not because He found anything beautiful, attractive, or desirable in us; but because He is love. As we celebrate Valentine's Day, I pray that we would be filled with the Spirit of Christ, who is love. I pray that the world would stop and take notice of our relationship with Him as we love each other in that selfless, sacrificing, serving way—the way He loved us. Rejoicing in His love, Nancy Leigh DeMoss I have always enjoyed anything that Nancy Leigh DeMoss has written or taught. I have found her to be most encouraging to my own life as a Christian woman. I hope you have found her to be the same. You can go to her website at reviveourhearts.com to find out more.